Monday, June 01, 2009

Twilight by Stephenie Meyer

Yes, I'm a little late in reading most popular books. Harry Potter was the same way. But once I started reading this book, I couldn't put it down! Unfortunately I had seen the movie first...I wish I had read the book first, so my mind could have created the characters that I read about, rather than the movie dictating the characters for me. Regardless, I LOVED the movie, and I LOVED the book! Edward and Bella's story is very romantic, but very tragic. Bella moves from sunny Phoenix to dreary Forks, Washington to live with her father. She worries that she won't fit in at the new school, but the other students are very friendly. Except for Edward Cullen, who along with his adopted brothers and sisters, keep to themselves. Bella is fascinated by Edward, but confused by his mood changes. What ensues is a complicated romance between a human, Bella, and a vampire, Edward. The back of the book sums up the complexity: "About three things I was absolutely positive. First, Edward was a vampire. Second, there was a part of him-and I didn't know how dominant that part might be-that thirsted for my blood. And third, I was unconditionally and irrevocably in love with him."

I finished Twilight last night, took a short break, and thought, "I'll just read one chapter of New Moon...which suddenly became three chapters! So far it's as addicting as the first book.